Driving Ayrshire forward since 1930
At Bridgend Motor Group we are proud to celebrate over 90 years investing in Ayrshire. From small beginnings, we’re still a family-owned firm, now with over 240 local employees, and 7 branches covering North, South & East Ayrshire.
1930 Where it all began
Bridgend was founded in 1930 as a haulage firm.
1950 The transition
The change from haulage contractor to garage took place in 1950 when Hugh McLaughlan, founder, opened the first Bridgend Motor Group in Old Glasgow Road, Kilwinning carrying out car repairs and selling fuel.
1966 Expanding business
Hugh’s sons Daniel and Alexander joined their father in 1966, helping the business to expand over the next 20 years from the traditional garage into associated motor trade operations – used car sales and vehicle service facilities such as accident repair.
1975 Establishing in Kilwinning
Bridgend Accident Repair Centre was established in 1975 at a site in Woodburn Avenue in Kilwinning.
1978 Irvine branch opening
In 1978 our Irvine branch was opened, and in 1980 it became one of the first Mitsubishi franchises in Scotland. A major refurbishment took place in 1990 and this branch has seen regular investment over the years to keep it up to date.
1980 Expansion and growth
In 1980, a substantial increase in business prompted a move to new, larger premises at Alexandra Terrace for Bridgend Accident Repair Centre, where it would remain until 1994 when the huge growth of the accident repair business prompted the next move of premises to its current location at Burnside on Old Glasgow Road, Kilwinning.
1999 Largest used car complex
During 1999 a multi-million pound development at Riverside, Kilwinning, opposite the original Bridgend Motor Group, became the West of Scotland’s largest dedicated used car complex.
2006 Moving south
In 2006, Bridgend Motor Group took its first steps out of North Ayrshire and into South Ayrshire. A four acre site was acquired at Heathfield and Ayr Autoplex was launched.
2013 Bridgend Motor Group arrives in East Ayrshire
November 2013 saw Bridgend Motor Group expand into East Ayrshire initially opening a 100 used car site on Ayr road Kilmarnock. This was followed up in 2014 with the opening of a dedicated Van Centre with over 100 used vans and commercial vehicles for sale. The success of the Kilmarnock Van Centre led to the opening of an additional Van Centre in Ayr with a further 100 used commercial vehicles and then a third Van Centre at Kilwinning Autoplex.
2019 Continued investment and growth
2019 saw £1million investment in our Kilmarnock autoplex, with the construction of a massive 10,000 sq ft, brand new facility. This new premises houses a huge state of the art workshop, modern sales & admin offices, as well as meeting facilities, and a large aftersales reception area. Kilmarnock Autoplex now offers customers over 100 vans & commercial vehicles, over 300 quality used cars, and a large selection of wheelchair access vehicles.
2023 Family owned and run
Bridgend Motor Group now comprises thirteen departments whose operations encompass used car sales, used commercial vehicle sales, service, maintenance, MOT and accident repair. The company is still family owned and run with many members of the McLaughlan family in key positions. Now with some of the 4th generation working in the business. We have over 200 local employees many of whom have been with the company in excess of 10 years and some for more than 30 years! A family owned company, renowned for its excellent quality of service.